A home is the most expensive purchase most people will ever make. In order to prevent major and often expensive repair projects, routine maintenance is essential for every homeowner. Protect your investment by performing routine maintenance to keep your home in tip-top shape. Scheduling these tasks can help eliminate problems before they start.
Use this checklist to prepare your home and yard for the cooler temperatures of fall, falling leaves, and more hours spent indoors. If any of the jobs go beyond your skill level or lead to more involved repairs, hire a professional handyman or contractor to help.
Outdoor Fall Home Maintenance Tasks:
- Remove debris from gutters, window wells, and downspouts as this can lead to foundation issues if moisture sits around your home’s base for too long
- Inspect roof, chimney, and foundation for cracks and damage which can often be signs of foundation problems. Call an expert for a free consultation if more than hairline cracks are found.
- Rake leaves and shred to use as mulch or dispose of them based on local guidelines
- Close or install storm windows
- Store outdoor furniture and cushions
- Remove from spigots, drain, and store hoses, and drain in-ground sprinkler systems
- If you have one, test snow blower and have it professionally serviced if necessary
Indoor Fall Home Maintenance Tasks:
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set clocks back in the fall
- Check windows and doors for tightness or being hard to open – this can also be a sign of foundation repair is needed. If significantly out of line and hard to open, contact a foundation professional to receive a possible repair bid.
- Wrap insulation around outdoor faucets and pipes in unheated garages
- Inspect chimney for leaks and obstructions, and clean fireplace flues
- Have furnace professional inspected and serviced
- Check water heater for leaks
- Set traps for rodents
- Dust blinds and vacuum curtains throughout your house
- Clean kitchen and bathroom cabinets and throw away outdated food, medicine and cosmetics
Hire a Foundation Contractor
Helitech is the area’s most trusted, most dependable foundation contractor and has been for over 25 years. Utilizing the AB Chance Helical Piering and Wall Anchoring System, Helitech is able to offer our customers the best warranty in the industry – Transferable to new owners and life of the structure – all while supporting American-made products as every piece of steel used for Foundation Repair is made in Centralia, MO.
If you need a foundation contractor, for more information on how to prepare your home for Fall, or if you see signs of structural issues in your home, contact us today by filling out the form on the right, or call us at 800-246-9721.